16 September 2013

Book Review: Wing Girl by Nic Tatano

"Wing Girl: [wing-gurl] noun
1. A young, single woman frequenting liquor-serving establishments who attracts then later repels eligible men that are eventually picked up by her friends.
2. The essential accessory for dating in Manhattan.

For years guys have cruised bars using the "wing man" as a divide and conquer weapon designed to liberate a gorgeous woman from her not-so-beautiful friend.

Meet Belinda Carson, Wing Girl.

She's a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners investigative reporter fighting for truth, justice and higher ratings. But while her fame draws in the hotties, it’s unfortunate that you can’t buy a new personality at Bloomingdales!

Because up close and personal these unsuspecting suitors get fried by a snarky attitude that's sharp enough to slice a stale bagel…
which leaves her grateful friends to swoop in for the delectable leftovers!

Only enough is enough – isn’t it time for Belinda to stop taking one for the team and land her own Mr Right?"

Rating: 5/5

You can buy Winggirl as an eBook now.

After a massive problem in getting this book sent to my Kindle (no fault of the publishers I must say, and they were very helpful in sorting it out!), I was really keen to read this eBook which I had heard lots of good things about! I also love the fact that Harper Impulse give their eBooks decent covers worthy of being printed too... eBooks need lovely covers to draw people in, I don't care what people say, covers are important! This is a book by a new author to me, Nic Tatano and I was curious to read it and see whether I would agree with the other reviewers who have raved about it so far!

Belinda Carson loves her job as an investigative reporter for her local TV station. She's a gorgeous woman, but tends to hide it behind baggy jumpers, leggings and a strong attitude that often turns men off rather than on. Her friends Ariel, Serena and Roxanne decide they have to do something about it, and decide to give Belinda a makeover. When Belinda is transformed, she's surprised by the amount of attention she received from the opposite sex. However, it isn't just her appearance that needs to change... it's her attitude, table manners and general self too! Belinda decides she might as well go all in and try her best to attract a man, but will she be able to pick the right one from the rotten apple?

I really loved the character of Belinda. The book was written in the first person from her perspective, so you really feel like you get to know her well enough to want her to find Mr Right, and have everything work out for her! I liked that in the beginning she didn't care too much for her appearance, instead more keen on doing a good job as a journalist, and being a good friend. I wasn't too sure about her friends wanting to change her appearance, after all it isn't all about how you look, but I did agree her snarky attitude sometimes needed an overhaul, although it did give me a good laugh! The relationship she had with her three girlfriends, Roxanne in particular, were fun to read, and it was nice to read some genuine female relationships. I have to mention Vincent too, who is one of my favourite male characters in a book this year, he's so lovely!

The backdrop of New York City was the perfect setting for the book. It worked well for the idea of the powerful women in the book, the exciting newscasts that Belinda gets to be a part of, and to be honest, I just love reading anything about New York! Nic Tatano's writing was really easy to read, getting into Belinda's head so well that you are soon engrossed in the book and I found myself not wanting to put it down. It's got love, it's got laughs and lots of moments that just make you smile and want to keep reading. It's realistic too - you can believe that everything you are reading could happen and I think that's important in a book, I do like a sense of realism! I'm really looking forward to the next eBook from Nic Tatano, Harper Impulse have found a great new author here and this one is definitely one to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment