8 December 2011

My Favourite Christmas... by Veronica Henry

Welcome back to my Christmas 2011 feature! As you know, I've asked lots of authors to write something about their favourite Christmas, and I've been lucky to have a great response. Today, I have the pleasure of welcoming Veronice Henry!

"Ever since my eldest son Jake was born, over 21 years ago, we have followed the same traditions year in and year out and not much changes. These are a few of my favourite things:

Helping little fingers prise open the first glitter-encrusted advent calendar door ** New Christmas party clothes - velvet, lace, sequins and glitter **  Late night Christmas shopping at the farmers' market, to buy cheese (Vacherin!), chocolates and mistletoe, then meeting friends in the pub for brandy and ginger ** Wrapping the presents with my husband once all the children have gone to bed, and sharing a bottle of champagne **  The feeling of big, fat, velvet stockings bulging with presents **  Opening our presents to the soundtrack of "The Snowman' read by Bernard Cribbins **  Blinis and smoked salmon  - and more champagne! - while I prepare the lunch **  Fighting over the last pig-in-blanket  - everyone's favourite ** Mince pies made with orange pastry, a big dollop of brandy butter stuffed under the lid ** A head-clearing walk on the beach as dusk falls while someone else tackles the washing up  **  Falling asleep in front of the telly with a Terry's chocolate orange, snuggled up with my boys"

1 comment:

  1. Can I come and spend Christmas with you - it sounds so lovely. And you don't look old enough to have a 21 year old son.

    ReplyDelete